Even the journey there is like sightseeing in Mallorca. From the airport near Palma, it’s around 80 kilometers across the island to the northeast – past places like Algaida, Montuïri, Vilafranca de Bonany and Sant Llorenç des Cardassar. Only to smile before driving up to the 5* Cap Vermell Grand Hotel. This is where the “Dutch poet in love” greets arrivals with a flower and a genuflection, bringing a smile to their faces. The “Poeta holandés enamorado” is the name of the cheerful sculpture at the hotel entrance, created by Spanish artist Gustavo, who is known for works with amusing titles.
With tower and stream
Welcome to a hotel resort surrounded by nature: located in the Canyamel valley, surrounded by the mountains of the Serra de Llevant and close to Cap Vermell, the Red Cape. The sea is 900 meters away. The hotel complex has been around since 2016. It is built like a Mallorcan village. With a village square in the center, complete with tower and fountain, which ripples in style at this “Plaza de la Torre” (with street sign!). The ensemble even includes a stream with a stony bed reminiscent of a typical Mallorcan torrent. These are the torrents that carry the water from the mountains down into the valley and further into the sea.
1 star restaurant in a 5 star hotel
And as befits a real village, several restaurants line the plaza. There is the tapas bar, the family-run Balearic Restaurant and the new Roka, which is all about Japanese grill art with its Robata grill. It is the first Roka restaurant in Spain, and even more: in the entire Mediterranean. And spoils you with fine barbecue specialties.
And then, of course, there is the Voro, for which chef Álvaro Salazar has been awarded a Michelin star. He serves two tasting menus, with eleven and 15 courses. Sitting outside on the terrace is particularly nice. Because this is fine dining by a rushing stream.
It trickles and bubbles
The presence of water on the five-hectare site is also a tribute to Mallorcan history – and the 300 years of Moorish rule, which lasted until 1229, when the Aragonese King Jaime I conquered Mallorca. conquered Mallorca. The Arabs were known to be masters of hydraulic engineering. The 30 or so decorative fountains and water features in the resort, which bubble and murmur quietly, are a reminder of this.
The various hotel buildings and villas are surrounded by a Mediterranean garden on several levels. The seductive scent of lavender wafts through the air in the morning. Camomile and rosemary sprout in a race. Vine grows luxuriantly over railings. Cypresses tower proudly into the sky. Olive trees and pines provide shade. And the lemon trees display their bright yellow fruit so proudly that not even the hotel bar barman can resist. After all, it couldn’t be fresher.
The complex is spacious and very quiet. On request, guests can be chauffeured silently to their rooms and suites and back to the village center with the reception using e-buggies. Not a trace of traffic noise. Maybe a rooster crows on a farm nearby. Or a few wild goats bleating in the mountains.
Mirror, mirror in the bath
And what a village atmosphere does to people! At breakfast, guests of all nationalities greet each other the way villagers do. But they have never met before. Four villas, 142 rooms and suites are part of the ensemble, including two presidential suites with 150 square meters. But the 107 junior suites, for example, with their 53 square meters, also offer plenty of space. High ceilings, bright colors, large terraces and balconies – simply inviting. Special detail: the large mirror in the bathroom can be converted into a screen. Just in case you want to enjoy an exciting movie from the bathtub …
Four golf courses nearby
The hotel, which was managed by Hyatt until October 2020, was closed for a good year due to the coronavirus – until it started the new season with renewed vigor at the end of March 2021.
Golfers are in paradise at this hotel. There are four golf courses nearby: Canyamel, Pula Golf, Son Servera and Capdepera. For excursions without a car, you can hire a bike or one of the stylish, mint-green E-Vespas from the hotel. And then drive silently through the Mallorcan countryside in the northeast. Sun, a balmy breeze and a little sea breeze in your nose – that’s how much vacation feeling you need …
– Bikes can be borrowed free of charge
– Electric Vespas cost 55 euros/day
– Descriptions of hiking routes in the surrounding area are available at reception
– Four electric charging stations are available in the hotel’s underground car park
– valet parking
– Location for private events from weddings to conferences in the Ballroom (232 square meters, 8 meter ceiling height, 300 square meter terrace), plus business meetings in various meeting rooms
– The minibar in the rooms is refilled every day free of charge with water, soft drinks and beer (also non-alcoholic)
– Two pools and a separate children’s pool
– Serenitas Spa with seven treatment rooms
– Fitness center
– Cap Vermell Country Club:Hotel guests can also use the extensive facilities of the Cap Vermell Country Club below the hotel free of charge. Whether you fancy spinning, body pump, Zumba, cross training, back exercises or Pilates. The complex includes an indoor and outdoor pool, a fitness area and padel and tennis courts
– Don’t miss: A trip to the old fortified tower in Canyamel, to Capdepera, 8 kilometers away, with its impressive 14th century castle or to Artà
– Distance to Palma de Mallorca airport: approx. 70 kilometers
The hotel belongs to the Cap Vermell Group. It is a member of the Leading Hotels of the World association.