What you need
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ Red onion, finely sliced into rings
- 100g dates, pitted and quartered
- 30g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g pita bread, cut into small cubes
- 75g almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp sumac
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 150g mixed greens (lamb’s lettuce, rocket, spinach)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
How to prepare
Mix the vinegar, onions, dates and a pinch of salt in a small bowl with your hands and leave to infuse for 20 minutes. The onions in particular react with the salt and acetic acid, making them more digestible. Then pour into a sieve and drain well. Pour away the liquids.
Next, heat the butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a (cast iron) pan. First add the sliced pita bread and toast until golden brown. Then add the chopped almonds and make sure you keep turning the bread and almond mixture. When everything is golden brown and fragrant, remove the pan from the heat and season with sumac, chili flakes and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Then put the croutons to one side.
To serve, place the salad leaves in a large bowl and add the pita and almond mixture, dates, onions, the remaining oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Mix carefully and season to taste again – then serve immediately.